Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages «<111213
Ragusian Carrack, Jack.Aubrey, scale 1:60 Options
jack.aubrey
#241 Posted : 22 June 2022 11:48:28

Rank: Vice-Master

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Joined: 28/05/2014
Posts: 895
Points: 2,691
Location: Milan (Italy)
Tuesday June 21st, 2022

About a week ago I decided to reopen the Ragusian Carrack shipyard with the aim of finishing asap this model.

The activities to be carried out to complete it are not many. Most of them consist of completing the installation of the yards, sails and all related rigging. Then, there are still some carpentry activities, for example build and install the rudder, carving the figurehead and prepare the stand to house the model and its clear plexiglass cover.

Once completed these activities the model should be 99% finished, the remaining 1% will be identified along the way.

All the yards and sails have been ready for months, perhaps even a couple of years, so it would seem a simple matter to start again but, as I see it, it is necessary to go back to study the running of all the rigging maneuvers and, therefore, this fact complicates my life . . . that's why in my previous message I had spoken of "mental preparation" to start again.

For this need of "mental preparation" I opted to resume the shipyard from the carpentry activities I mentioned at the beginning.

First I dedicated myself to the construction of the figurehead, to be obtained from a block of solid walnut. It was my first carving experience and I do not consider it a great success, also due to the wood used, which in my opinion is not suitable. But in any case this blessed figurehead has seen the life and thanks to the subsequent gilding I am moderately satisfied with the result. .

01 Ragusian Carrack/21062022/IMG20220615173024.JPG


02 Ragusian Carrack/21062022/IMG20220615173036.JPG


Later I built the rudder, still a long way from completion. . .

03 Ragusian Carrack/21062022/IMG20220621155154.JPG


Then the final hull support for the model. .

04 Ragusian Carrack/21062022/IMG20220621155120.JPG


05 Ragusian Carrack/21062022/IMG20220621155033.JPG


Finally, lastly the basement for the plexiglass case, rather elaborate in terms of wood used (and built by an artisan, known here at the Como lake, who enjoys building cutting boards for the kitchen using precious woods essences. Its beauty consists in the different combinations of wood essences and color, even if one aspect that should not be underestimated is that it overshadows my model. . .

06 Ragusian Carrack/21062022/IMG20220621172936.JPG


07 Ragusian Carrack/21062022/IMG20220621173004.JPG


A cordial goodbye. . . see you soon,
Jack Aubrey
birdaj2
#242 Posted : 22 June 2022 13:08:31

Rank: Super-Elite

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Joined: 31/05/2010
Posts: 5,641
Points: 16,894
Location: Wiltshire
Really nice to see an “old” friend back on the site Jack.

Could not believe over 2 years had passed by since you were last on.

Hoping that life is more settled for you now that you have your new house and that fantastic workshop space.

Wonderful to see that you looked after the Carrack so while while you have been away.

Hope everything continues well for you and looking forward to seeing the final stages as you finish this model.

Kind regards

Tony

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
COLLECTING 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)all parts now complete just needs building.
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tf64
#243 Posted : 22 June 2022 22:12:30

Rank: Elite
Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Joined: 13/02/2011
Posts: 2,160
Points: 6,594
Location: UK

Great work Jack good to see you back.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Artesania Stage-Coach.

Scratch Build: Tombstone Arizona Diorama.

























Users browsing this topic
Guest
13 Pages «<111213
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2009, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.129 seconds.
DeAgostini