Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Rib 15 Your Input please Options
jonny7england
#1 Posted : 29 August 2010 18:13:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I had been busy on fitting the middle gun deck today and noticed what could be more problems with rib 15. Apart from being wider at the bottom, which can be filed down. I noticed that it stands well proud at the top, angling outward. Has anybody else noticed this, and if so, are there any suggestions on getting over this problem when it comes to planking over this part?
Code:

Code:

As you can see the third rib in from part 12 (bow section)can clearly be seen protruding...much obliged shipmates...Blink Confused
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Cornwallray
#2 Posted : 29 August 2010 18:26:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

What youwill need to do is where it is proud sand it and where it is short you will need to build it up with some planking to bring them all up level with the deck.
If you run a piece of plank across the ribs you will be able to see where it need sorting.
Hope this helps
Built
Billings Le Bayard
Mamoli Golden Hind
Corel Shenandoah
In Progress
AL King of the Mississippi
Mantua HMY Britannia 1893/HMS Victory 1/98 Stopped
Yet to start
AL Zuiderzee Botter (Pre laser)Fun fun fun
Constructo HMS Victory
Caldercraft HMS Victory
Deag HMS Victory
riff-raff
#3 Posted : 29 August 2010 20:36:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalRed Medal: Red MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I have the same problem as do most I think.

Am I correct in thinking that Points A B & C shoud be perfectly in line with each other once sanded?

Pinched your image Jonny - Hope you don't mind

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Built:
Golden Star, English Brig. RMS Titanic. (Academy 1/400 Centenary Anniversary Edition) Revell-Monogram 1/48 B-29 Superfortress 1:8 Baron von Richthofen's Fokker Tri-plane. HMS Victory. Nelsons Flag Ship. Sultan Arab Dhow. Artesania Latina Carmen II. The Battleship Yamato. Model Airways Wright Flyer 1:16 Scale. Trumpeter Bismarck 1/200. HMS Sovereign of the Seas. The Black Pearl.

Building:HMS Surprisel. Hatchette U96. Soleil Royal.
Jack Sparrow
#4 Posted : 29 August 2010 21:06:09

Groups:

Mine is the sameCursing . A lot of sanding ahead and some modification me thinks!!BigGrin BigGrin
Tomick
#5 Posted : 29 August 2010 21:31:01

Groups:

Good fairing of the hull will sort any highspots and a using a plank to test the flow across the frames is the sure way of checking.
secretreeve
#6 Posted : 30 August 2010 01:44:53

Groups:

ya know for "laser cut precision peices" these are fairly sloppy productions. i mean crist i could use a laser cutter and do a better job myself having only ever used one a single time.

i mean okay, some fairing you expect but that is silly.
Jack Sparrow
#7 Posted : 30 August 2010 02:00:36

Groups:

I must agree that it does need an extreme amount of fairing for one rib, and it is going to take time to do to keep the shape.Blink And what with the cannons, it makes you wonder what else can go wrong!! I love modelling, but I am new to wooden builds and i will admit that I find it daunting to set about rib 15 and get it right!!Crying For this amount, I would expect a better quility and finish to the parts we receive!!Blink
jonny7england
#8 Posted : 30 August 2010 09:22:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

No, I don't mind you pinching any of my pictures rif-raf, in fact I admire how you have superimposed the letters onto the picture, must tell me how you do it some time? No, getting back to the subject in mind, I know that there will be a lot of fairing involved with this particular build, but looking ahead and at rib (B) in rif-raf's picture and where it will eventually make up the upper deck, this distortion will cause some considerable problems on both port and starboard sides of the upper decking? Blink Confused
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
riff-raff
#9 Posted : 30 August 2010 10:17:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalRed Medal: Red MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Just 5 minutes with PhotoShop Jonny BigGrin
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Built:
Golden Star, English Brig. RMS Titanic. (Academy 1/400 Centenary Anniversary Edition) Revell-Monogram 1/48 B-29 Superfortress 1:8 Baron von Richthofen's Fokker Tri-plane. HMS Victory. Nelsons Flag Ship. Sultan Arab Dhow. Artesania Latina Carmen II. The Battleship Yamato. Model Airways Wright Flyer 1:16 Scale. Trumpeter Bismarck 1/200. HMS Sovereign of the Seas. The Black Pearl.

jonny7england
#10 Posted : 30 August 2010 10:28:57

Thanks mate, not technically minded with computers (give me a model ship any day) I will have to try and get my head around photo shop...as if rib 15 aint enough trouble...LOL LOL LOL
riff-raff
#11 Posted : 30 August 2010 11:01:41

It would appear that Tomicks on the offical build has the same problem - I think i'll wait and see if he mentions it and how he handles the problem.

The main thing that worries me about filing the rib to the correct depth to get the planking in line is that this will not affect the inside edge of the plank so this will always be out of line to the main deck. I am thinking about cutting rib 15 off where it meets the lower gun deck - making an angled cut that brings the whole top section of the rib in line and then re gluing with some support blocks that will eventually be hidden behind the planking. Then I just need to build up the lower section of rib 15 using some scrap planking material that I have.

Built:

jonny7england
#12 Posted : 30 August 2010 11:23:55

I can see where you are coming from on that one rif-raf, cutting and lining up the top of rib 15, and I can quite understand you waiting to see what Tomick does about it in his build, I too on that one...Oh thanks for the Photo Shop lead, I thought it was somethimng to do with Photobucket..LOLBlink ...(as he has another one of his senior moments) Opened up an account with them...might improve some of my pictures LOL
riff-raff
#13 Posted : 30 August 2010 20:07:15

This is the solution that I have used to correct rib 15.

First I built up the rib below the bottom gun deck as this was too small. I used a piece of 1x4mm glued - pinned and then sanded to the correct thickness. then removed the pins and gave it a final sanding.

To correct the top of Rib 15 above the second gun deck I removed the rib very carefully using a fine toothed saw. I then sanded the bottom of the removed section about .75mm on one side only (nearest the centre of the ship) I used a pin pusher to nail a pin in place to act as a support once the rib section was put in place. The nail head was removed using snipps. I drilled a .5mm hole in the main section if Rib 15 to allow the blunt end of the pin access. The whole section was then glued back in place. I used two sections of Lollipop Stick (Thanks Kids) to further support the rib. Once painted black the whole repair should hardly be noticable.

The advantage that I find with this medthos is that the whole top of Rib 15 keeps its dimensions. something that sanding may cause problems with further in to the build.

Please feel free to use this method if you think it will work for you or even improve on the method that I have used.

There will still be some work to do as the build goes further.

Built:

piot007
#14 Posted : 31 August 2010 10:33:29

Great fix, and photos show what you mean really well.
Its a fix i dont want to do. Can i ask when building up the ribs, we then sand back down to correct depth.
Do we use the deck as a marker to stop sanding further than this point?
Or can we sand the deck if it protrudes out of the rib line?
Also if we dont do this fix, will it make things more complex?
Need the experts here!
i dont know what weapons will be used in ww3 but ww4 will be sticks and stones.
Lonestar Spirit
#15 Posted : 31 August 2010 12:38:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I dont think this is a DeAgostini issue, this is obviously a manufacturing issue, if an issue at all (which it definitely looks like)as rib 15a on my model is ok yet 15b is definitely not in alignment with the rest and protrudes out from former 14b and 16b by 2.8mm, I was going to try and pull the rib in using a strap, but this will effect part 15a which is ok, so we might have to resort to riff raff's method, but before I do anything that drastic, I think DeAgostini should get in touch with the manufacturer and get some answers as to whats going on, is the part defective, how do we solve this issue etc, but also some assurances that if this is a mistake, how do we stop it happening again!

Ship Builds on the go

Yamato - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
AKAGI - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
RMS Titanic Lifeboat (Kind Gift from DeAgostini Crew)
ajbird74
#16 Posted : 31 August 2010 13:01:38

Groups:

Riff-Raff excellent fix on the rib 15 but think if I try that I will most certainly mess the whole thing up.

Beginning to think it might be worth jumping ship so to speak as I am new to wooden boat modelling (my area being plastic military).

I knew this build would be taxing but never envisaged so many problems this early on. to me this seems a major obstacle.

I am wondering if they supplied a rib 15 belonging to some other ship rather than Victory? laser cutting follows a set of programmer instructions and is accurate -
the machine does not get an off day and get it wrong so not sure why we now have another problem to spoil the build. Confused
Lonestar Spirit
#17 Posted : 31 August 2010 13:07:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Don't jump ship Ajbird!!! I know this sounds frustrating right now, but as with all models you will sometimes get parts that just dont seem right, but we will get a solution one way or another.
Ship Builds on the go

Yamato - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
AKAGI - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
RMS Titanic Lifeboat (Kind Gift from DeAgostini Crew)
riff-raff
#18 Posted : 31 August 2010 13:30:43

Here Here Lonestar Spirit

Stick with it mate - the ship is taxing but once complete you'll be amazed at what you have accomplished.

This is only my second build and the first was very basic. I too am having problems with the build but managing to get round them.

If you cannot find a solution yourself then there is ALWAYS help here.

Stick with it mate your results be be astounding to say the least !!!

Built:

riff-raff
#19 Posted : 31 August 2010 13:35:19

One point I have to add on my solution is that the higher deck supports are now to low and require building up to support the decks.

In doing this fix I have also found that as the deck supports on Rib 15 now sit lower you will have to remove some material from the longer deck beams where Rib 15 locates.

Just a minor point but one that needs mentioning

Built:

Dontshootme
#20 Posted : 31 August 2010 14:05:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Riffraff,may I ask,does this fix alter the angle of the rest of the deck supports at all,ie they are not at 90 degrees anymore?
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae