Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Question about sequence of hull planking Options
Atholm
#1 Posted : 17 May 2011 10:14:34

Groups: Registered

Hi Shipbuilder

I am completing the 3rd row of gun ports (part 29) and see the next part of hull building (part 31)is to finish the planking at the top of the hull.

As most of your builds are long past this stage my question is must the top part of the hull be completed before I start on the lower part of the hull. The reason for this change in schedule is the vulnerability of the top planks and the extended planks at the stern while planking the bottom of the hull.

Happy building

Athol
CMB
#2 Posted : 17 May 2011 12:12:53

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Atholm,
I did exactly what you are thinking, the reason being the upper planking is mostly unsuported and vunerable to breakage/damage.
Also the lower planking is a lot more difficult than what you have completed so far, so my advice would be to comlete the lower planking, sand out any slight imperfections and fit the keel sections.
Then, and only then you can work on the upper planking using the building stand.
This method worked for me and I am now ready to fit the galley sections.
Hope this helps you to decide, happy building
CMBBigGrin
Son of Bulwark
#3 Posted : 17 May 2011 13:32:56

Groups:

Hi Athol! Cool

I stopped the upper planking around early November and started the lower planking, I made some supports to hold the ship by the top of the ribs then bolted them on the jig.

As you have completing the 3rd row of gun ports you can still do the same at the rear of the ship but the front would need a different support take a 2 inch x 2 inch block of wood at least 150mm long drill a 10mm hole into the centre of it then fit a short length of 10mm dowel about 120mm long, fit this into the forward mast hole. You will need to notch for the rib so you don't damage them and fix it to you jig. This will hold the ship steady while you work on the lower planking.

Take a look at what I mean the link is below:-

http://forum.model-space...s&m=19902#post19902

Hope this helps!
saintsman123
#4 Posted : 17 May 2011 17:17:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Having done the upper planking as per the magazines, I found that the planks were not easily damaged, but were subject to a little damage. If I had to do the build again, I would not have done all the upper planking until it actually had to be done, but would have done enough to protect the ribs.
Come on you Jimmies
Atholm
#5 Posted : 18 May 2011 15:29:18

Hi Ship Mates thanks for the advise and comments. I have a jig using angle brackets to support the false keel but I find with my varifocus glasses and head mounted magnifying glasses I can never get into the right position to see properly. I have therefore build most of the hull on my lap (the hull has spend more time on my lap then the total time my 3 children and 5 grandchildren have spend on lap!!!).

I will use Son of Bulwark's, suggestion when I get to the last few planks at the keel but will start planking the bottom of the hull "on my lap" and then finish the top planking in my existing jig before finishing the last bottom planks.

Happy Building

Athol

jeff averre
#6 Posted : 18 May 2011 22:14:57

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Ditto to the above, I had to repair slight damage to the upper hull and also found it awkward to to get it to sit securly when doing the lower hull.
I'm also peeved to find out that I now need to add a couple more planks to the poop deck, the reason why I'm peeved, I waited as long as possible before double planking so the finnish would be even, Ive now got to work out how not to leave a join showing, but we don't need plans or anything like that do we, we like suprises, it make's life interesting!Cursing

Jeff
karl1113
#7 Posted : 18 May 2011 22:48:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

ditto to the 2 above,I have had two occations when the old girl rolled off my lap and damage has occured,to the gallery and prow,repairscarried out,and all is now well.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/