Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

A question on scale Options
Mac
#1 Posted : 09 April 2010 13:14:46

Groups: Registered

I hope one of you more experienced shipwrights can answer my question?

The HMS Victory that we are going to be building is in 1:84 scale.

If I wished to adapt the build by buying or making different fittings, what scale would these have to be in, in order to be in proper scale on the Victory?

I am pretty good at judging and building in scale by eye but totally useless with the maths.But would like to learn.

Thanks Pam
Pam's shipyard is closed for now no more room!

RussG
#2 Posted : 09 April 2010 13:25:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

The nearest common scale to 1:84th is HO/OO!

HO models are built to 1:87th scale. This simply means all the dimensions of the full size item (the 'prototype') are divided by 87. So 87 models all lined up would be the same length as the prototype. 87 stacked up would equal the height of the prototype. To put it another way. HO is also known as 3.5mm scale. 3.5mm on the model represents 1 foot (12 inches) on the prototype or full size item. HO scale actually stands for Half O

OO scale is generally only used for models of British prototype. It is 1:76th scale or 4mm to the foot.

1:82th - 3.717 mm to the foot. An intermediate scale (H0/00) intended to apply to both H0 and 00 scale train sets. Also used for some military models!

Hope this helps
Happy Building, Russ

On the workbench: My Victory Build Diary - Victory Cross Section Build Diary - Black Pearl Build Diary

Under the Bench: Millenium Falcon, Black Pearl x 2, Coral Victory Cross Section, De Lorean