Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
caulking the decks of hms victory. Options
karl1113
#1 Posted : 30 April 2010 21:30:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

this is a subject I'am interested in hearing about, I have caulked the decks of various boats and ships, the last being Cutty Sark.
whould anyone else be considering doing this? I certainly will be.as it adds so much realism to the model,I have seen several victory models that have been caulked on their decks, that you get a real feel for the floorboards.cheers me hearties.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
captainalan
#2 Posted : 30 April 2010 21:43:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I've just bought some 0.5 and 1mm black twine just to see how it looks for the caulking I've used this method before as well as black card
dtgray
#3 Posted : 30 April 2010 22:22:42

Im thinking of doing it, I'll probably use a black marker pen down the edges of the decking before I fit them to get the effect. BigGrin
Regards,

David

Mark
#4 Posted : 30 April 2010 22:29:21

Black or dark brown card works very well. I've also used black cotton between the planks to good effect. There are other people who have painted the edges of the planks with paint, marker pen, etc. I've never tried these myself, but the results I've seen look good.

Cheers
Mark
bountyhunter_04
#5 Posted : 30 April 2010 22:33:14

so whats this corking about guys?
someone plz explain Bored
Zeptrader
#6 Posted : 30 April 2010 22:38:10

Groups:

Chalking, when you lay the planks on the deck of yor model them eem to blend together, and after sanding it loks like you have one flat piece of wood.
Now look at any period ship (real) and you will see between the planks chalking, no bring that down to the size of your model, you want to repicate that.
By doing any ofhe above the deck will simulate are real period ship, showing the individual planks to scale.

captainalan
#7 Posted : 30 April 2010 22:45:46

Caulking was usally made from hemp rope and was forced down into the seams of planks
to form a water tight seal if you look at a full size old ship that had wooden decks then you would see a slight dark gap inbetween each other where the cauling lay
Mike Turpin
#8 Posted : 30 April 2010 22:46:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Caulking is the process of waterproofing the join between planks, either in the hull, or in this case between the deck planking. On the real thing, hemp cord is forced into the gap between each plank using a caulking tool. The seam is then 'payed' which means covering it with tar.

(Hence the expressions 'and the devil to pay' or 'between the devil and the deep blue sea'. The devil was the longest seam running along the lowest deck and hence the most difficult to get at.)

This creates dark lines between the planks and that is what is being discussed on this post. Strictly speaking it is the lines of tar which we need to reproduce rather than the caulking inside the join.
I tried this on my Bounty model using a black thin fibre tipped pen and that was reasonably successful. I also made small dots to simulate the trenails(wooden pegs) holding the deck planking in place.

Mike T
captainalan
#9 Posted : 30 April 2010 22:51:37

thanks mike t
you explained it better than i did
snowtiger
#10 Posted : 30 April 2010 23:42:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Well here goes for caulking made easy...correct me if i get it wrongConfused

1)..get several deck planks ...and lie them on top of each other..then paint the edges with black or dark brown paint...that way any overspill of paint can be hidden by reversing the plank..and it gives a nice clean edge..BigGrin

2)..At the ends of the planks use a brass pin to make 2 holes (side by side)...then using a 0.1 art pen (black Permanent ink)...just touch the holes with the tip....this will look like driven in nails...and if you have to sand down when it's done...the work you have will remain...BigGrin

Well thats the theory...putting it in to practise ....could be a bit of a beggar...LOL
bountyhunter_04
#11 Posted : 30 April 2010 23:46:24

Thanx for that fellas :)
Mike when i done my bounty i done the same as you only i used pencil,
looked good at the time...but she was my first ever model and although im strippin her rigging sails and yards im still very proud of the job i done on her considering id no idea what i was doing.
Ill post some pics when ive taken her down to the deck.
Capt Stedders
#12 Posted : 01 May 2010 00:44:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Blink More furry fun with cotton???

Scared

Noooooooooo....

*runs away*

Actually seems/seams (sorry) like a good idea. No doubt adding a good bit of definition between the planks... now, what is the finest (without going to ridiculous extremes) twine one can get hold of (is there such a thing as Black nylon fishing line?).

Will the planks themselves be to scale? (I'm not too fussed, but a reasonably scaled effect would be nice) otherwise simply sanding everything smooth and doing the marquetry thing with a really finely tipped soldering iron might be an option.

Good point.
Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

Mike Turpin
#13 Posted : 01 May 2010 00:49:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Its an interesting discussion, but are we not jumping the gun a bitHuh ??

Mike T
Jack Sparrow
#14 Posted : 01 May 2010 00:49:37

Groups:

Capt Stedders wrote:
Blink More furry fun with cotton???

Scared

Noooooooooo....

*runs away*

Actually seems/seams (sorry) like a good idea. No doubt adding a good bit of definition between the planks... now, what is the finest (without going to ridiculous extremes) twine one can get hold of (is there such a thing as Black nylon fishing line?).

Will the planks themselves be to scale? (I'm not too fussed, but a reasonably scaled effect would be nice) otherwise simply sanding everything smooth and doing the marquetry thing with a really finely tipped soldering iron might be an option.

Good point.

If you were to use a fine braided fishing line, it can be dyed.BigGrin
budgie
#15 Posted : 01 May 2010 08:09:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

hi all i have simulated caulking before using ordinary black thread fom mrs sewing bag
sticking it down as i layed each plank with wood glue
looked ok until i decided to lightly sand the deck, the cotton came loose & i ended up ripping all the thread out
i personaly liked the effect it left nice even gap between planks but obviously not the effect we want (gap to be filled with tar)
so i will be watching the forum eagerly for tips and photos before trying that again
thanks everyone for advice etc so far (a lot better than instructions in a box)
karl1113
#16 Posted : 01 May 2010 11:43:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks for all the replies matelots,I just wanted to find out what people thought of doing it,and most importantly HOW. I have a solid method of doing it and it involves black thread,superglue(horror)and a lot of patience,If anyone wants to know more I will send pics a little nearer the time,it was very interesting the different methods used in attaining the finished look,why not use the stuff that they used but on a smaller scale,it is not rocket science easy to do and looks great. just needs a little care,and the method I use stops the problem of the thread coming adrift whilst sanding.thank you all, keep 'em coming.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
jonny7england
#17 Posted : 01 May 2010 12:01:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsRed Medal: Red MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Just adding my halfpennyworth shipmates, Rope made from hemp had a limited lifetime. When it wore out it was picked apart and recycled. It was used for caulking. Rope fibres (known as oakum) were hammered into the seams between planks of a ship and hot pitch was poured over it. This was done to waterproof the ship. Of course you got money for the old rope. The phrase came to mean money for anything (seemingly) worthless. BigGrin
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
lee.takel
#18 Posted : 18 May 2010 15:04:14

My Uncle, whilst building Endeavour used a 2B pencil and used it to scribe down the deck planks when glued in position. Once sanded down it looked great
willie
#19 Posted : 18 May 2010 18:24:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

this one from some where i read don,t know if its from a boat i built or not when laying the deck planks put pins between the joints long and across when the planks are are all fitted fill the gaps with a different colour of wood filler thined down when all dry sand down i know normal filler a bit tough but balsa filler with a bit of dye is easery
snowtiger
#20 Posted : 18 May 2010 21:58:13

There is small problem with using threads and such....is the scale...it's only 1/84.....it could look like the gap in scale size is 6 inches....i would paint the edges then with a very small nail or a brass pin rin it lightly down the edges to give it "that worn edge look".....and then the ends of the planks with what i said earlier ....fine art pen...to look like driven in nails.....or go one better and use Karls ....cocktail stick idea...imho...BigGrin